Author Topic: Around the Boards - Sports Edition! Round 2!  (Read 3837 times)

Offline As someone who knows nothing

• Killed 411 by retiring
  • Administrator
  • Cool Factor: +169/-96
  • Referrals: 5
    • Off The Team
Around the Boards - Sports Edition! Round 2!
« on: May 29, 2013, 12:42:48 PM »
Welcome back for the 2nd round of Around the Boards. This round is Buy or Sell. Let's get right to it, as we are definitely short on time naming no names. *cough Old Jay cough*

Buy or Sell The Dever Broncos as the SuperBowl Favorite

NY Jay- SELL, SELL, SELL, SELL. Why, why does the NFL have this infatuation with Peyton Manning? Granted he is one of the all time greats and our generation was lucky to witness someone restructure the QB position the way Manning has done, but he seemingly gets this automatic bid into the SuperBowl every year when he doesn't deserve it. My biggest knock on Manning is his inability to win in the cold. There are no givens in the NFL any year. And if you get the dream match up of Manning-Brady in the AFC championship game, I'll take Brady 9 times out of 10 especially with Manning always getting early exits from the playoffs.

Ego- SELL – naturally any team with the firepower they have is going to be considered in the discussion but the road to the Superbowl goes through the NFC West in my mind.    The 49ers and the Seahawks both went all-in this offseason in their attempt.   Look at the names they added:  for the 49ers, Anquan Boldin, Glenn Dorsey, and Namdi Asomougha…for the Seahawks Percy Harvin, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett & Antonio Winfield .  Those are all pro-bowl caliber players to two teams that were already Superbowl contenders.   That doesn’t even touch on the bounty of draft picks they both had – particularly the 49ers for the Alex Smith trade.

Woody "Old Jay" Paige-SELL.  They'll be good but c'mon.  Still too early and Niners are still more likely.

Buy or Sell: Sergio Garcia's apology to Tiger Woods

NY Jay-Selling. Apologize for what? A bad joke. Comedians are allowed to tell racist jokes and the 2 already don't like each other so what's the problem? Hamstrung forced apologies are generally worse than what was said.

Ego-SELL – Major sell.  For the sole purpose that he said the exact same thing that Fuzzy Zoeller got blasted for in 1997.     Garcia was around in 1997 when this was a controversy and so why on earth would he crack the same exact “joke” and expect it to be okay?   And the apology afterwards was nothing more than a forced, fake apology.  He said it, he meant it, and he should own that fact. 

Woody "Old Jay" Paige-SELL.  He doesn't mean it, just doesn't want to lose sponsors over his dumb remark.

Buy or Sell Spurs winning a 5th NBA title

NY Jay-BUY. Why not? The Spurs are one hell of a class organization in all of sports and Gregg Popovich is probably THE most underrated coach in all of sports. Granted having an all time great in Duncan helps out a bit but he is able to manage that team the right way and keeps everyone grounded. He understands the dynamic that team chemistry brings, its the reason they got rid of Stephen Jackson, depsite his skills. They didn't need his crap. If they beat the Heat, it will truely be the quietest dynasty in sports ever built. Also, Popovich not playing guys and listing the excuse as "old" is genius.

Ego-BUY – I’ve been watching more NBA basketball during these playoffs than I have in the past 5 years.  And while the Heat are (and should be) the favorites, they’ve absolutely shown some vulnerability in their series against the Pacers.   I look at the Heat as the glitzy, high profile team that the NBA hopes wins so they can increase their pop culture relevance.  I view the Spurs as the lunch-pail guys (as lunch-pail-guy as you can get while still having multi-million dollar contracts)….not glamorous, everyone has a role, and they work as a team.    I could see the Spurs beating the Heat this year.

Woody "Old Jay" Paige-SELL low.  *Host mute, what does that even mean?*

Buy or Sell Joe Theismann saying Lebron James can be a QB

NY Jay-BUY. I generally don't care much for Thiesmann because he comes across as a prick, however LeBron James is the literal definition of a "sports specimen". The man is 6'8 270 pounds of muscle and would probably be able to dominate whatever sport he played. One thing is for sure, I'd take Lebron now without ever having thrown a ball in the NFL over Tebow being my QB.

Ego-SELL – to add to the ridiculousness, he said that Lebron could do it AFTER his NBA career was over.  Meaning Lebron could pick up the NFL QB role after his 35th birthday.   Lebron is a stud on the basketball court, there’s no question.   But it’s an entirely different skillset on the football field, not to mention even if he HAD the skillset, he’d have to learn very complex offenses that guys begin developing in college.  I defy anyone to name one successful modern pro-NFL QB who didn’t play QB in college before making the transition.

Woody "Old Jay" Paige- SELL.  He's a great athlete, could be converted to a WR/TE like Antonio Gates, but QB is a different beast.  Remember Denard Robinson throwing a baseball?  Takes a great deal of technique to throw a particular ball in a particular sport.

There you have it. Don't forget to vote for which member of the panel had the weakest argument, and we will see the top two face off on Friday.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:46:43 PM by Penguin »

Offline Rimshot Johnny Playoffs

• F%&# Boston
  • Legacy Member
  • Cool Factor: +5017/-120
  • GO LEAFS GO
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Around the Boards - Sports Edition! Round 2!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 01:12:41 PM »
SELL low means I don't think anyone will stop Miami, but we're not in the Finals yet so I give the Spurs a small chance.
Christ, this fucking ordeal is elder abuse.  Fucking assholes.

Offline Wayne007

• Stat Boy
  • Legacy Member
  • Cool Factor: +1031/-6
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
So wouldn't that mean that you buy low?

• F%&# Boston
  • Legacy Member
  • GO LEAFS GO
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »
toss a coin

Offline Raymond

• So Very Sleepy
  • Global Moderator
  • Cool Factor: +337/-320
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »

• F%&# Boston
  • Legacy Member
  • GO LEAFS GO
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 10:06:59 AM »
hahaha